What is Title I?
Title I is the largest federally-funded program in education. Originating in 1963, Title I provides federal financial assistance to meet the needs of educationally at-risk students by providing supplemental services and resources to support them. The purpose of Title I is to ensure that all students have a fair, equal, and significant opportunity to obtain a high-quality education and reach proficiency with challenging academic standards and assessments.
The ultimate goal of Title I is to close the existing achievement gap between high-performing and historically low-performing students through extended learning time, a high-quality curriculum, and instruction by a highly-qualified staff. In the St. Marys Area School District, all the elementary schools and the middle school are Schoolwide Title I schools and all teachers are highly qualified.
What is a Schoolwide Title I Program?
Schools must meet certain requirements to be eligible for a Schoolwide Program.
SMASD Schoolwide Title I Schools:
- South St. Marys Street Elementary
- Fox Township Elementary
- Bennetts Valley Elementary
- St. Marys Area Middle School
Schools operating a schoolwide program use Title I funds to provide all students with support and assistance. The primary goal is to ensure that all students, particularly those who are struggling, demonstrate proficient and advanced levels of achievement on state academic achievement standards.
2022-2023 Title I Schoolwide Plans
Schoolwide Title I Programs
- Implement schoolwide reform strategies that are based on research, have been proven effective in improving student achievement, and address the needs of all children in the school in an integrated way.
- Use effective instructional strategies that increase the amount and quality of learning time.
- Help provide an enriched PA Core standard-based curriculum.
- Meet the educational needs of historically underserved populations, including economically disadvantaged students, minority students, and limited English proficient students.
- Use highly qualified professional staff and provide professional development for teachers and other staff.
- Implement strategies to increase parental involvement.
South St. Marys Street Elementary School
Bennetts Valley Elementary School
Fox Township Elementary School
St. Marys Area Middle School